29 October 2005

It's Gonna Happen On a Tuesday

You know those little things only your family knows? The inside jokes, the little quirks? Well, in our family, Tuesday was always a special day. For absolutely no reason in particular, but that was the point.

Dad, when do I get my allowance?
Tuesday.

Dad, when are we going to Disneyland?
Tuesday.

Dad, when are you going to buy me a car?
Tuesday.


This ensured that Dad always had an answer for everything. Dads are supposed to know it all. So what happened if Tuesday just didn't answer the question? Well, Dad had a few more stock answers for things.

Dad, how much money do I owe you again?
A million dollars.

Dad, how much longer is it going to take to get there?
Two minutes.

I could probably ask Dad when I'm supposed to be happy - he does know everything, after all - but I already know the answer.

It's gonna happen on a Tuesday.

6 Comments:

At 5:01 AM, Blogger Melody said...

My mother had standard answers for us kids as well:

But Mom I want this...."want in one hand and shit in another - see which one gets full first".

Mom I am bored...."go count your toes to make sure they are all still there"

Mom, Mom, Mom....."I am going to change my name to shit and dare you to say it"

Wonder how these "norms" shaped us?

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Thanks for stopping by, Melody. :)

I know my dad's sarcasm definitely rubbed off on me. *g*

Hard to think how these helped to shape us, but I'm sure they had a part in it. :)

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was little I'd contantly ask my mom and grandma if they love me. (g) I wasn't insecure or anything, it's not like I *really* needed reassurance... but it started as a joke and progressively became a habit. Or the other way around. (g) While my grandma always said yes, my mom would always say, "I can't stand you." (g) But in a tone of voice that told me she was kidding and she did love me a lot. :)

 
At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh--can't remember any standard answers my parents gave me. I'm sure they had some, but mind's blank right now . . .

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Lynn M said...

My kids and I have a new saying that we really like and that I use whenever they complain that they didn't get the same amount as their brother/sister or don't like what flavor or are generally disatisfied. It goes "You get what you get and you don't mind a bit."

But I really like your dad's answers, Sara. Especially the Tuesday and the "Two minutes" cause lordy knows how many times I get asked the how long question.

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i absolutely love you sara. we have a pretty fucking great dad, don't we? and guess what? it's forty minutes until tuesday. maybe you'll be happy then. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home